Bike Walk Wichita offers a variety of classes (DIY Bike Trailer , Ready to Roll, Confident City Cyclist, Commuter, League Certified Instructor Training) to help anyone who would like to learn to ride a bike, or to become a more confident cyclist. These classes are part of the League of American Bicyclists Smart Cycling program and are taught by knowledgeable, certified instructors and designed to teach anyone to be safe, proficient cyclists. Whether a long-time commuter, an avid club rider, or haven’t ridden in years, these fun, fact-filled courses are sure to increase knowledge, skills, and confidence.
Confident City Cycling
Sunday, July 16th, 1-5pm at Bike Walk Wichita, 131 S. Laura
$25.00 space limited to 8 adults (14 and older)
Riding in traffic is smooth when you’re prepared with the knowledge and skills to avoid potential conflicts. In this class, you’ll learn how to ride safely on the streets, how to be visible and predictable to motorists and how to best position yourself on the road. Even experienced cyclists might be surprised at how much they can learn about safe cycling. Students will take the classroom portion online at their own leisure and then spend four hours with certified cycling instructors practicing on the bike. We will have parking lot drills to practice bike handling skills and avoidance maneuvers, and then we’ll put it all together and practice it on the road. Materials for the online portion can be found here. The quiz can be found here: http://www.bikeed.org/
Contact email@example.com for information.
League Cycling Instructor Training
August 4th-6th at Bike Walk Wichita 131 S. Laura
To register for the LCI Seminar, take these steps:
1. Everyone taking the LCI Seminar must have taken and passed a Confident City Cycling class. Our next CCC class is July 16 from 1:00-5:00 pm. If you have already passed a CCC class, we encourage you to sign up for this July CCC class as a refresher; you do not have to pay another class fee to take the class as a refresher. Instead, contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know that you will be joining us.
2. You must be a member of the League of American Bicyclists in order to take the Seminar. If you are not already a member, you can become one by following this link and completing the membership form online. A one year individual membership is $40. Once you are a member, you should receive an email confirming your membership and giving you a membership number. You will need to use that number to register for the LCI Seminar.
3. To then register for the LCI Seminar, go online to complete the registration form. At the time of registration, you will need to pay the registration fee of $350.
4. You must be registered for the LCI Seminar no later than July 14. No exceptions.
5. The League of American Bicyclists has posted some helpful FAQs about becoming an LCI here, which you should read: http://www.bikeleague.org/content/become-instructor.
Contact email@example.com for information.
Our Education Programming Includes:
Confident City Cyclist – Transforming Cyclists into Experts
Confident City Cyclist (CCC) is designed to teach adult cyclists how to use a bicycle with confidence and competence for pleasure, utility and sport under various highway, climate, terrain, and traffic conditions. The class is organized into three levels:
- The Basics • The Bicycle • Maintenance • Clothing and Equipment • Bicycle Handling
- Bicycling in Traffic • Cyclists’ Role in Traffic • Avoiding Crashes • Hazard Avoidance Maneuvers
- Enjoying the Ride • Riding Enjoyment • Ride Etiquette • Helping Motorists Share the Road
Introduction to Bicycling in Wichita
Just getting the bike out and want to ride the new paths and bike lanes more confidently? This 3 hour class offers a more limited outline than Confident City Cyclist. It has 4 parts: Rules of the road, Basic bicycle safety, ABC Quick Check, Parking lot drills. After practicing some skills we can get out on some of the bike lanes and paths near Bike Walk Wichita, such as 1st and 2nd streets and the Redbud Trail.
This class is for adult cyclists who wish to explore the possibility of commuting to work or school by bike. This follow-up class to CCC covers topics including route selection, bicycle choice, dealing with cargo and clothing, bike parking, lighting, reflection, and foul weather riding.
This class is for experienced cyclists who would like to go a on a group ride. Students should first be familiar with the techniques for riding predictably, on public roadways, as an individual – such skills as proper lane positioning and emergency bike handling. However, cycling in a group places added responsibilities on each cyclist, so all must understand and practice the principles of group riding. This class is designed to give students the principles of group riding.
Long Distance Cycling
Have you ever wanted to do a long ride but aren’t sure you have what it takes? Train side by side with one of our cycling instructors. This is a beginner training session so don’t worry if you don’t have very many miles on your bike yet! If you’re more advanced, feel free to join us as well. The ultimate goal is not to be first to cross the finish line, but to finish a Century Ride safely and with confidence. We’ll start with short riding sessions and build up to longer 70-80 mile rides. All rides and info will be posted to the Century Cycling ICT Facebook group. On the longer rides and on event day, we will have a personal SAG (Support & Gear) vehicle dedicated just to our group.
Basic Bike Maintenance Class
From fixing a flat to adjusting deraileurs, this class will give you a hands on opportunity to learn about your bike. We’ll cover what to carry with you to be prepared, as well as equipment and skills to help you avoid mishaps that can turn your ride into a hike-a-bike adventure!
Learn to Ride
Do you want to ride a bicycle with your kids, or for fun or fitness, but don’t know how? Learn the basic skills to ride a bike in a no-pressure environment with other adults. Must be at least 16 years old. Come to as many classes as necessary to learn. Bring your bike and helmet if you have them; bikes and helmets (which are required) can be supplied if you don’t have them.
Yoga for Cyclists
The slouched posture and repetitive nature of riding can take its toll on the body. Yoga is an essential performance tool for cyclists to be able to gain and maintain flexibility, core strength, balance, breathing efficiency and mental focus. Cyclists may be less prone to overuse injuries with adding yoga to their cross-training. All levels of experience are welcome. A professional yoga teacher will lead the class. The registration fee will be paid to cover the instructor’s fee and the remainder (if any) will be used as a donation to the Bike Walk Wichita “ReCycle” program (refurbishing bikes to be donated to people who need a bike!)
League-certified Cycling Instructor
The LCI training seminar focuses on teaching and demonstration techniques used with future students both on the road and in the classroom. The seminar emphasis is on how to teach bicycle safety and skills so as to provide increased comfort and confidence for new and returning bicyclists and youth.
For general information about the League of American Bicyclists and their education programs see: http://www.bikeleague.org/ridesmart
If you are interested in scheduling a class or would like more information contact us using this form: